Tuesday 15 July 2008

The bad news and the bad news....

Cag was admitted to hospital last night. She had a difficult day, and had a couple of bouts of not being able to clear her chest, coughing, almost choking. I was not happy about her situation so called the emergency doctor. He checked her over and phoned for an ambulance, saying that she ought to be looked at in hospital, the sooner the better.

I phoned this morning to find out how she was and was asked to go to the hospital to meet with the doctor, as she was refusing medical intervention. I was there by 10.30am but was unable to see the doctor until about 2pm, because of other emergencies. It gave me time to work on Cag and to get her to agree to accept examination and treatment. All she wanted to do was to come home, but if she does she will die, pure and simple.

She is now on a drip and has a feeding tube fitted, and I heard tonight that she has taken a small amount of nourishment this way. I talked with the dietitian before I left this evening and she asked me how heavy Cag was. I knew because I had weighed her on Sunday............ 32 kilos, about 5 stone. She did warn me that this was borderline and that feeding would have to be small and often. It may take three weeks or more to see an improvement, but at least something is being done ........ at last.

Cag is not the best patient. She is hating every minute of it, but I know I have done all I can here and she needs the sort of help the she can only receive where she is. I can't help feeling guilty at allowing her to go into hospital, but the alternative is unthinkable.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh Ian, I'm soooooooooo sorry to hear this. Great big SUH for you. She's where she can be cared for, even if that means forcibly so, you did the right thing. I know what that is like as our family went through it with our dad and then our mum (who went on a virtual hunger-strike).

My thoughts are with you. Lean on us all when you need to. A lot of us care about you, me included.

Will keep you and Cag in my thoughts.

Another SUH.

freebird said...

Yes, we care.
I'm so sorry to hear this too. How can you possibly feel guilty, dear Ian? You had absolutely no choice. I'm sorry she doesn't see it that way.
I just hope the treatment helps. I'll be thinking of you.

Eileen H said...

I am so sorry for your bad news.
She is in the best place.

Keep strong.

S'mee said...

Can't help thinking I should have done some thing sooner, but the thought and the asking had to come from her. Just hope it's not too late.

Fiona said...

Honey, she wasn't letting you do any more than you were doing, and you were doing lots. You have always respected Cag's wishes as far as you could, and given her the dignity of staying in control of her own life as far as possible.

Holding your hand and sending thoughts your way.