Sunday 20 July 2008

A Mixed Weekend..............

There's been a little change in our situation. A step forward, one back, then a little shuffle forward again. I managed to see the dietitian, and the consultant on Friday. The dietitian said that they would continue what they were doing in the way of feeding until after the weekend, then start to increase the intake a little at a time. The consultant was positive, but said that progress would be slow. We can live with that.

Saturday brought a surprise. Cag had managed to pull out her feeding tube over night. She was a little brighter but still very pale. The nurses were doing hourly feeds, with small amounts fortified desserts and thickened shakes, rather than replacing the tube right away. Cag was managing but I could see she was not happy. Her hands were very swollen, but that was due to the re hydration, and it should right itself as soon as she recovers a little more.

I really didn't know what to expect today. I wasn't surprised to see the feeding tube had been replaced. I understand there was quite a bit of coercion but finally Cag agreed. She was waiting for an X-ray to make sure the tube was in the right place before they could start feeding, and was still taking small amounts of food orally. I even managed tempt her with some soft chocolate.

She's bored and complaining, so I know she is a little better. And spending money! Strange how a woman can be very ill, in hospital, and still spend money. So hopefully the progress may not be as slow as the 'powers that be' thought. You know what retail therapy can achieve. We can but hope.

5 comments:

Fiona said...

That gave me a chuckle, that Cag is spending from her hospital bed - gotta give the woman credit for that :)

I feel for you dear man, you are going through things that take me back a few years. One thing to watch out for is the additive that helps avoid constipation - at one point they forgot that in my dad's 'mix' and he ended up in hospital in a bad way.

The feeding tube thing was unpleasant and really not where he wanted to be, but it did give him a while more time with us. And the amazing thing was, he never aspirated his 'wee dram' in the evening :)

Sending hugs, lots of them.

freebird said...

Just got back to blogland after my weekend away - and yours was my first call.
Just sending love and support, feeling pretty helpless actually. Would a SUH help at all?

Seeker said...

I just got back online after my holiday and really cannot tell you just how sorry I was to hear how badly things have gone for you and Cag while I have been away. Sending you both lots of hugs and thoughts and prayers. Keep that old chin up, eh?

freebird said...

I keep looking in to see if there's an update. Thinking of you, Ian.
xx

Seeker said...

Same here, Ian! You are in my thoughts and prayers.