Sunday 7 December 2008

Out and about............


It's been a wonderful weekend, weather wise. I've skipped out for a couple of afternoons to take trips to the coast, only a few miles away, but seldom visited in the last few years. The sun was warm, but a cutting breeze did what was needed to blow away the cobwebs.
.
It's been a dozen years or more since I've been on the harbour side at Mevagissy. There are far fewer working boats now than there were, and very few pleasure or visiting craft at this time of the year.
.

From Mev I ventured further along the coast to Gorran Haven and Vault Beach. There's a gated roadway that runs along the top of the beach for Coast Guard use, and I have memories of sexual harassment there one very warm after noon.............. but I didn't complain. It's a nudist beach on warmer days, but there wasn't a goose pimple in sight.
.

Next stop Carhayes Castle, hiding in the trees, with the lake full of water birds. Pheasants from the Estate were also making an appearance................. but I didn't manage to 'bag' one on this trip.

The beach at Carhayes was empty, and even in summer there's usually plenty of room. No brave dog walkers today, just a small number of cars, enjoying the view.

A little further on, Port Holland, a few cottages, two other people, and me with my camera. Beautiful views and solitude, something I've had precious little of in the last years since mobility became a problem. It's lead me to a decision, a need for some more appropriate footwear. Town shoes, mud and wet rocks are not a good combination, So a 'call in' at the Sunday Market on the way home has solved that problem. Walking boots and thick socks.

I shall be going back, but in the mean time, there are people to see, places to be, maidens to rescue, dragons to slay, varlets to vanquish, prayers to pray.

.

8 comments:

Hazel said...

What beautiful pictures. Lovely scenery!

Eileen H said...

Lovely photos.
It's good for you to get out and about again.
Blow some cobwebs away.

Fiona said...

What beautiful scenery....tell me, were those bluffs the setting for the clingfilm phase? ;)

Sunny Delight said...

I've always loved daytrips, or weekend trips, or any kind of trip for that matter. What a wonderful one you took. Amazingly lovely. There is something about large bodies of water that just sing to my soul. SUH darlin'

Sunny Delight said...

Oops forgot to ask...

Now, why would you want to slay a varlet? I've always thought there was a touch of rapscallion in you :P

S'mee said...

Slay dragons and vanquish valets Sunny. I live in a beautiful, sometimes wild area, but have had little chance to explore it recently. I intend to change that, especially if the weather is like that of the weekend.

Now I've got the boots, I have to use them.

Fiona said...

Hi Ian - just checking up on you. I hope you've had another good weekend. Sending love and hugs your way.

Fi
xxxx

freebird said...

You're blessed with fabulous scenery, I'm glad you're able to get out and enjoy it. I know that in your heart you're not alone on your travels. Keep sending us the photos, Ian.