Friday 1 August 2008

Requested update...........

The progress has been slow, very slow at times. A few ounces gained and then a few lost. At last today some more positive news.

Cag was sat out today when I got to the ward, the first time. They had weighed her then left her in the chair rather than putting her back in bed. She is still very weak and about an hour was all she could manage, but It's a start. I managed to catch the Ward Sister and asked about plans as I need to let certain people know regarding the benefits we receive.

The Sister said that they were increasing the feeds by tube and increasing the amount Carole was taking orally. There was a possibility that she could be moved to our local hospital early next week but that would depend on bed availability. Progress was steady but she thought that Carole would be in hospital care for about another three weeks.

The Dietitian dropped in just before I left and she confirmed what the Sister had told me. She said that a PEG, a stomach feeding tube, was being considered, not so much for the food but to assist with liquid intake. Food in a puree state is easy to swallow, but a liquid can be difficult. It often goes down the wrong way.

Cag won't like it, but it would take a lot of responsibility and worry off me. I would hate to think she would slip back to what she was doing when she finally gets home, and knowing her, I could see that happening.

Now the question that is in my mind. Who will they send home to me? Not the person that went into hospital, mentally or physically. Her mind now is even more fragile than it was three weeks ago, and I can see that much of what she used to be able to achieve is now history.

Any set back for a person with M.S is serious. 'If you don't use it you loose it' applies even more to an M.S sufferer. It doesn't worry me. I know I will be able to deal with what they leave me but I'm so disappointed for Cag. When you have so little, every loss no matter how small is precious.
.


Happier days............ when striped pullovers were in!

5 comments:

Fiona said...

It must be so hard, just so so hard Ian. I wish I had something more to say....please know I think of you and send good positive thoughts to you and Cag.

I love the photo, she's very beautiful....and that is a very striking stripey jumper, indeed ;)

Sunny Delight said...

What Fi said...and more

There are times, like this one, when my heart is full, always searching for hope... and yet I have nothing worth saying...except my thoughts are indeed with you and Carole.

After thought...she has the most amazing smile...you are one very happy looking couple.

freebird said...

What a gorgeous, beautiful couple. My thoughts are with you both. Wish I could offer more.

S'mee said...

Thank you ladies, for your words and thoughts. It's a case of waiting on other people and then picking up what pieces are left.

Cag was a little better today, but still a shadow of what she was. I feel so sorry for her but I try to keep her positive and praise any small response. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Seeker said...

Thanks for responding to our plea for an update!

I wish I knew what to say; there are no words for such situations. If there was something that I could do or say that would help, then I would do it.

Loved the photo! I hope that looking at the photo - and thinking of happier times - helps to cheer you up just a little bit.

Take care.