Sunday 7 September 2008

Nearly a week.........

It's been nearly a week since I last posted, a week of ups and downs. Generally, we are both fine, but that's not to say there haven't been problems.

The main difficulty this week has been Cag coughing about two thirds into her feed, around five in the morning (I feed Cag over night). I thought it may have been due to the different formula, one that she had tried in hospital, upsetting her, but I am now of the opinion that a ten hour feed may be too long.

I split the feed last night. I had to stop the feed around 700mls, flushed, then let Cag sleep for a couple of hours, and restarted the feed around 8am for a further two hours. That still left about 100ml short but I put that in manually with a syringe later. It seems to work, but I will check it out with the dietitian first thing in the morning, just to make sure it's O.K.

We had a visit from the PEG nurse this week. It was her first time in the area, so she was late, not being able to find us. She told, and showed me all the things I should have been instructed in while Cag was in hospital, so I'm a lot more confident in the whole system now, providing we can get this coughing sorted out.

Wednesday saw a visit from the outlaws, two of Cag's sisters. They came baring gifts, red wine and sticky coffee cake............ the perfect combination............ well I thought so! They hadn't seen her since she left hospital and were full of praise about how well she looked. Her skin is so much clearer and her hair shines, but not with hospital gained grease. Her colour is also very much better, with even a little rosiness in her cheeks. It's wonderful what a couple pints of beige soup and H2O can achieve. Wonder If Gordon Ramsey knows?

As for the rest of the problems, the pressure sores are on the mend, and I think I am going to have to accept that the limbs are never going to be as they were. We must make the best of what we have.

6 comments:

Fiona said...

Having Cag home must be a relief and yet seeing the changes you're both going through, must be so very hard.

I keep you in my thoughts, dear man.

SUH

Sunny Delight said...

It sounds as if you have things well in hand, and it is also nice to read Cag is improving in small ways. I hope you have some ease of mind.

Many, many SUHs!

S'mee said...

There is one problem, only one of us is fighting........

Fiona said...

It's so hard when it comes down to that. I ended up fighting for my mum, after she stopped wanting to fight. It took me a little while, but finally I understood she was exercising her personal choice and I had to respect that. It's so hard, Ian, but when I stood back and looked at the whole thing, I realised that I'd want that same kind of respect if it was me.

Big hugs

freebird said...

Hello Ian, sorry for my absence - I've been a very infrequent visitor to blogland lately. Today I'm doing my rounds for the first time in ages and couldn't pass by without saying hello. Reading your last few posts, I wish I were as good as you at keeping cheerful - you're amazing. Can I join in the group SUH?
:-)
xxx

S'mee said...

Hi FB. Fraid I've been just as infrequent. I've dropped in on most people to read a little but have not felt like contributing very much of late. Must shake myself and get back at it. Welcome to the SUH club. X