Monday 1 September 2008

Sleeping on two feet..........

I've been expecting all sorts of verbal chastisement for my failure to post since August 22nd. No excuses, I've been about, but have had very little to say about the last couple of weeks.

We've settled into a rather confused routine. Confused for me because doesn't seem to fit my body clock, and confused for Cag because she really doesn't know what is happening at times.

I am disappointed about the physical condition Cag was sent home in from the hospital. The retraction in her limbs is causing problems with lifting and shifting. Hopefully a little bending and stretching will gradually put this right over the next few weeks. Cag is also suffering some skin deterioration around the base of the spine. Not quite pressure sores, but could easily become so if not treated. Hence the sleeping on two feet.

Our Community Nurse has supplied an inflatable pressure mattress for Cag, which takes up over half the bed, and the 'two feet' is all that is left for me. It's back to dressings three times a week, but I feel happier having the closer contact with the nurses, especially in these early days.

Everything else seems to be working out O.K. Cag's put on a little weight, about 2lbs in the last week, and that's fine. The feed has to be adjusted. A little too much fibre, if you get my meaning, but that's very much trial and error. Apart from that, she's looking fine. Hair shinning and skin clear, with a good colour. Must be the beige soup.

One of my neighbours did leave me speechless a day or two ago. I mentioned about the beige soup that Cag was on, to which he replied that I must be saving a fortune, not having to buy food by getting it by prescription!

3 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

I for one am happy to see you are alive and well! Thank goodness you caught her skin breakdown in time, and she's gaining weight...wonderful!
Perhaps you should invite your neighbor over for dinner one night, with "beige soup" as the main course :-).

Hope you are getting some rest, even if only on two feet.

SUH dear man.

S'mee said...

Hi Sunny, I really must get back on track again. I seem to be waiting for something to happen, but nothing is going to happen unless I make it. A dinner party perhaps, with beige soup for starter, main course and sweet. Now there's a thought.

Thanks for the SUH...... much needed at times. X

Fiona said...

I could sleep on two feet - actually I do!! I am an edge-of-bed-hugger and have to be on my side right at the edge of the bed - I'd fit in very well there ;)

Beige soup - aaaaah I remember it well. It's a bugger to get off any surface if it drips and dries, sets like cement!

You're always so good at keeping your chin up, Ian, I hope you're finding time too, for your own interests, such as cling film, etc. ;)

SUH from this corner of the world, to go along with Sunny's - wow there's an image for you, both of us wrapping you up in one of those.