Friday 26 September 2008

Where have I been?

Last published September 7th....................... I know, I should be ashamed of myself. I, like so many others, seemed to have found myself in one of those 'looking for something new' situations. My life, since my wife returned from the hospital, has settled into an easily managed routine. The only addition to our needs has come from a neighbour who's husband has had a major bowel operation. I've been taking her shopping twice a week, and lending her an ear, oh boy, have I been lending an ear!

I'm accepting that probably now is the best that it will get with Cag's situation. Not quite in the 'last stages' of M.S but any setback now could be very serious. I don't think she has the strength to fight anymore. She has not given up and will not give up, but there is only so much a person can take. Perhaps the next dealer will bring more luck.

I've set myself a challenge. To cook with a Remoska. ( I can hear the question from here! Try Google). I've known about them for years and recently a few neighbours have 'invested' in them, with varied results. Most swear by them. Another used it once, blew the fuse, and plunged his home into darkness. He over filled it, it boiled over, and he has been afraid to use it since.

I mentioned that I was interested in one and he gladly offered me the whole kit, with two unused recipe books, for well under half price. I reluctantly agreed. I've taken it to bits, checked it over, and now it's ready to go............................... and after a weekend of scanning the Net, I will be too.

I find myself in the same situation as many single and elderly people, now that I only have to look to my own needs for food. I have a good breakfast, but I only have main meal during the day, around 6.30pm. I've been through the packets, the tins and the prepared meals over the last few months. Now I need to stretch myself, and get back to the joy I used to find in cooking. I look forward to it.

Note. Must watch Jamie Oliver next week.

3 comments:

Yorkatt said...

I think you'll be delighted with it. I purchased one 2 months ago (on several recommendations) and haven't looked back. I'm saving on electricity and, in my view, eating healthier than I would be than just by microwaving some meals. Can't praise it highly enough.

S'mee said...

Yorkatt, welcome. Got a lot of freezer stock to use up, but was determined to use it tonight, and it worked like a dream.

Fresh baked rolls for breakfast tomorrow, and am making a list for shopping on Monday. So many recipes, so little time.

Sunny Delight said...

When my head is back on straight, if that ever happens, I will indeed google it. Whatever it is, it sounds like you are enjoying it.

SUH