Wednesday 4 February 2009

Here I sit...............

Here I sit, it's late at night, and I'm wondering where the last two months have gone.

O.K, so I've been spurred into Blogging again by two 'distant' ladies who just wouldn't leave me alone. Thank you both.

The funeral went well. A Civil Ceremony, as Cag would have wanted it, rather than a religious service. Music by Il Divo and Patrazio. Eats and drinks by The Holmbush Inn, thank you Nicky. I thought that best, as there were too many to invite back to our/my little home and I couldn't cater for more than a dozen. Not enough cups..................... or glasses, and sandwiches tend to curl if you're not careful..

Christmas was spent at my daughters. I seem closer, and she seems closer to me than she ever was before. She and Cag were very different, so lets say there was tension there at times. She had the most awful cold, so her partner had to cook dinner, and a very good job he made of it. Grandkids were great................. what more can I say.

New Year was a few days with S-in-L and B-in-L. They live in Bishopsteignton, high on the hill overlooking the Teign valley. Midnight we went out onto the balcony and watch hundreds of fireworks from reveler's parties in the houses below us. We joined in with rockets, and a toast to 'absent friends'.

I've been back to stay with them since then. Every few weeks, they visit my M-in-Law to get shopping and look after her accounts, so I asked if I could go with them. She was unable to travel to Cornwall for the funeral, so I promissed I would call on her as soon as I could. Duty done and the day went well.

Now a strange thing. I don't wish to imply anything, but I have a S-in-L who was widowed about two years ago, and each time I've visited Bisopsteignton, she has been there. I've another trip planned for the end of the month, and I know she will be there then. I've also been invited on a holiday to Scotland later in the year, and she has also been asked if she would like to go. Is somebody playing 'match maker' or is she putting herself forward? Now there's the question.

The future? Well, I've been written off as far as work is concerned. I have a small pension which I have taken early. The Government don't seem to want me to work, just to inform them if I find a job. That's how bad it is in this area. They are happy to make my incoming up to a figure that I can live on.......... with care, so I'm going to spend this year waiting to see what turns up.

Those thoughts I had, so many years ago, when I said I wanted to retire at 45 and go back to work at 65, keep running through my mind. Be careful what you wish for. It might just come to pass.

Like Arnie........................... I'll be back.

6 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

So good to 'see' you here.

Sending a very big SMILE.

It does sound as if someone has plans for you.

You have so many talents, you may find something that brings in extra income, and gives you personal joy as well.

Your holidays sound like they were lovely and relaxing.

SUH

Eileen H said...

Pleased you're back blogging.

Thank goodness for pester power!

Fiona said...

Good to see you back, Ian. Aaaah the power of the 'distant ladies' ;)

I think the best part of all this is that you are open to something happening - you deserve joy and happiness and some good physical stuff too ;)

SUH

Seeker said...

Glad to hear you are okay and still getting out and about. We were all worried about you!

Maybe the plans for you and the S-in-Law are not in any way romantic: perhaps your family just think that you might benefit from being able to talk to somebody who understands a little of what you are going through.

Take care.

S'mee said...

I have missed you. I have missed you all. Thank you for your greetings and comments. I've just watched Shirley Valentine and have been inspired.

Ain't life grand. X

freebird said...

Well I've been away too - busy busy busy, but whenever I've popped back it's your place I've been calling on first. At last you've surfaced! Welcome back to the world, I'm so pleased to see you!
Now I'll catch up on your next post.