Sunday 22 June 2008

A reminder.......

I've been reminded that I haven't posted for quite a while. Well, I've been here, reading and searching but not really in the mood to put my thinking head on. I've put up a couple of entries on my other blogs, simple things, but my mind has been elsewhere.

Cags condition is causing a lot of concern. She's not eating enough, three to four hundred calories a day, and her liquid intake has dropped to a little over a pint. We've been waiting all week for a contact from the M.S nurse, even phoning the doctor again on Wednesday, getting him to re-fax information to her office. If there is no contact by Monday afternoon I will have to rattle some cages.

I'm not sure it's all to do with M.S. She has been very down recently. It usually happens at this time of the year, but there's no reason you can put forward for why. She has got swallowing problems, and has difficulty chewing, but I don't think these are the only reasons. I can see the need for a liquid food diet and even the possibility of tube feeding at some time, but hopefully not quite yet.

I half know what the nurses suggestion will be, high calorie booster drinks. Thick syrupy ill tasting things, that might look good on paper, for those who have never had to take them. Then will come the next problem, what will Cag take? She's always been picky what she eats, doesn't like this, or that, so there's going to be quite a challenge. Hates soup, hates milk, eggs, meat, gone off fish, vegetables, even chocolate. Quite a challenge!

Thing could be worse, I keep thinking of the situation if my mother had still been with us. I know I would have caved in under the strain. There is no way I could have gone through the operation and been able to look after two people. I'm finding my limitations, ones I thought I would never have.

11 comments:

Fiona said...

I think most people would have found their limitations long before you have, dear man.

It must be such a strain. I know you want to do it, and none of us can truly understand all you do. Not just the physical load but the emotional one as well.

Virtual SUHs sent your way.

Hazel said...

Wow - I'm surprised you haven't caved in wayyyyy before now. You have been amazing, considering the huge amount of emotional and physical stress and pressure you have been under.

Best wishes to Cag - hopefully she will start eating more, and be stronger.

Seeker said...

Just echoing what has been said above by Fiona and Hazel. I am really sorry that you and Cag are going through this. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

S'mee said...

Made a little progress today, and hopefully a little more tomorrow, so will post then.

Ladies, thank you for your concern.
It is a worry, but nothing I haven't forseen. It's the feeling of helplessness which is so frustrating.

Hazel, would love to pay you a visit, email me at (my old handle)@sharam.plus.com as I don't have your address.... or perhaps Fi can oblige?

Fiona said...

Oblige by visiting you? ;) or with a lead to Hazel in some way? I'm afraid I don't have her email addy but you do remember how to get to websites through clicking on the name on the comment??

Is one of us being blonde right now? *L*

S'mee said...

Hi Fi,
Hazel has moved! Last post was January. If only it was as easy as just 'clicking' on the name..... sigh!

Fiona said...

ooooooops didn't realise that!!!

HAZEL...CALLING HAZEL...please send this young man your email address or new 'house' address :)

Seeker said...

You've probably made it to Hazel's abode by now! If not, try clicking here. I think you might have to sign up before you read the blog - but it only takes a moment!

S'mee said...

Thanks Seeker for setting me in the right directing. I will pay a visit.
IanS.

Hazel said...

Sorry Ian,
I have been very remiss in reading comments, otherwise I would have replied :S. Thank you Seeker for doing the 'job' for me :).

S'mee said...

No problem Hazel. Been up to my eyes the last few days but I will visit...... promise