Monday 27 October 2008

First response..............and update.

I never expected Sunday to turn out as it did. Things had been going well for too long, and then life slips a Joker in the pack.

I'd just finished washing Cag and was about to get some fluid into her when I sensed there was something wrong. I looked at her, her eyes rolled up, her head went back and she had a fit. It lasted only a few minutes but in that time a paramedic was on his way.

Another few minutes and he was in the room with me. He began to check her over, then she went into a second fit. This time she did not recover and continued shaking until the second ambulance arrived. Then it was a dash to R.C.H. Truro.

I spent the afternoon with her in A & E but by then she was so drugged up to control the fit, I could do little but watch and wait. I got home about 6pm, just in time for a telephone call asking me to come back to the hospital. I expected bad news, but it was to go over the results of a CAT scan,then to update the doctors in the Medical Admissions Ward on her history, and what had actually happened.

There was been no obvious reason as to why it had happened. It could well have been caused by M.S, but other tests are needed to rule out all other possibilities.

Our daughter travelled from Torquay today and came with me to the hospital this afternoon. Cag's condition was no different from that of last night, but she was breathing without oxygen, and her colour was a little better. The Staff Nurse said she was showing some responsive signs but was still suffering the effects of the drugs given on the previous day.

I went back to the hospital tonight. Her eyes were open, but still only just conscious. She did, however, managed a few words, to complain about the noise the bedside machine was making. A more than positive sign and a good first response. She understood what I was saying and I even managed to get a smile before I left.

It will be a day or two yet before the damage that the fit has done can be fully confirmed. Hopefully her few communication skills with have survived but we must be thankful that she is here at all. It was that serious.

Sorry I can't finish on a more light hearted note tonight, but there will be other nights, and at least the few steps were in the right direction.

UPDATE............

It's taken 48 hours for the drugs to clear. Cag is responsive now but her speech is almost non-existent. The seizure seems to have done a lot of damage to the communication skills. The doctors are happy that they have done all that is possible, so they have started the procedure to get her home again. The sooner, the better............ for both of us.

I've done quite a bit of reading about what happened and it is not uncommon for this sort of seizure to go hand in hand with M.S. It may be a 'one off ' but it can be the start of more regular attacks. It's a case of wait and see.

Thank you for all your comments, they are truly appreciated.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh gosh Ian, I'm so sorry to hear this but glad to know that she's responding well. How frightening for you. My thoughts are all the way over the miles, with you and they are joined by a big, tight, SUH.

Fi
xxxxxx

Sunny Delight said...

This does sound so very frightening, so unexpected too. Wishing you all the very best of outcomes. Today does sound like the signs are good, yes?
Holding you all in my thoughts, tightly.

Sending another SUH along with Fi's.

Seeker said...

So sorry to hear about this; it must have been absolutely terrifying for you. Thank heavens the ambulance turned up quickly!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.

Eileen H said...

So sorry to hear of this setback and hopefully the signs are looking more positive now.

Take care of yourself.

Eileen.

Hazel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. It must have been petrifying.

Sending best wishes and positive thoughts your way.

S'mee said...

A big THANK YOU to you all.

IanS.

freebird said...

Sorry Ian, only just found your post. Oh how frightening. Well done to the ambulance service though, restores one's faith somewhat. My cousin's wife has MS and I'm afraid she has been known to suffer fits also. It must be very disturbing for you. My thoughts are with you.
x