Sunday 2 November 2008

Home............

An ambulance brought Cag home on Friday evening. It was their last drop and by then she was pretty exhausted. I did no more than change her, get her comfortable, then see to her liquid intake and later her feed. Everything else could wait until the next day.

Saturday brought with it the full realisation of her condition. Physically there is very little change, except that there is practically no flexibility in her arms, and they are trapped across her chest. She has managed one or two words but that soon became just a nod or a shake. The medication she is on seems to make her sleep most of the time, so perhaps this is a blessing. A Community Nurse called in the afternoon, to check on pressure sores, but she is very new to the job and did only what I asked her to do. She did say for me to contact our doctor for a visit on Monday, but that was already on my list of 'Must Do'.

I phoned a friend today, Sunday, a fellow M.S carer. Her husband is in a similar situation to Cag, and she confirmed that I must contact our doctor, the team leader of the nurses, and my own care coordinator, to set wheels in motion A.S.A.P.

I know I shall probably need some help, either that or grow another set of arms, because there is just not enough of me physically to do all that needs to be done. I can wash and change, do all the other little things which are needed during the day, but hair washing, bed changing etc, is going to need two people.

So it's a busy day tomorrow. The phone will be red hot. I've not been left with much, but what I have will be loved and cared for, for as long as necessary.

.
I'm sorry I'm not visiting my usual Blogs at the moment, but I'm sure all will understand.
.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Ian, there's no need to apologise for not visiting blogs, we come here to find out how you are doing and how Cag is doing. Our blogs are there whenever you feel like a visit.

Please do let some people in to help you, it's not something you can do on your own and I just wish I was closer and cold be more help than just posting words on your blog.

Great big SUH

Fi
xxxxx

Sunny Delight said...

I can only add a ditto to what Fi has written. We are worried about you, about Cag, and it is wonderful of you to take the few moments you have to fill us in on your life.

I wish it were easier for you, wish there were something we could do besides send warm thoughts your way.

Please, please do get in all the help available to you, it will help you in so many more ways than just the transfers. It's nice to hear you have the support of others in your situation as well.

Holding you in a long tight SUH,

freebird said...

And another little echo from me. Wishing there was something we could do to help.
x