Tuesday 19 August 2008

Home......... at last.

It should have been yesterday. The discharge had been approved by the doctors after their morning round. Everything that could be achieved in hospital had been done. It was now a case of regular feeding and encouragement to eat a little by mouth.

A Monday morning is not the best time to try to arrange all that was needed, and as some of the equipment would not be there until later in the afternoon, so I was asked to collect Cag at eleven o'clock this morning. She would be dressed and ready................ and she was.

I was expecting a change in Cag, and of course there is. She's not so mentally alert or as physically strong as she was. Five weeks of doing nothing has taken it's toll. It's now up to me, us, to work with what we have and try for some improvement. Not an easy task with M.S.

I did feel sorry for her travelling home. I was sure there had been 'an accident'. One has a nose for this sort of thing. Sure enough, the hospital sent her home with a little surprise for me. I'm pretty sure she had been dosed with Senna, probably last night. It's not the first time I have heard of this. Of course, she wouldn't know. It's so easy to do through the PEG......... but a little warning would have been appreciated.

I've just finished setting up the over night feed. I've made about all the mistakes it was possible to make, but thankfully I did it here and not when 'the eyes' were on me. Cag is still a little confused, and still can't quite believe she is home. I see her glancing around, just making sure she is where she wants to be. Now the work begins, the physical and the mental.

Beats working for a living!

4 comments:

Fiona said...

I'm glad Cag is home again. It will, I'm sure, make a difference to how she feels and how she interacts with her environment.

Cag is blessed to have you in her life, Ian. With your love and support, I hope you find more of the wonderful woman you married, there still inside her.

Sunny Delight said...

You are amazing!

I was wondering, so thank you for the update, and happy for you both!

freebird said...

I'm in awe of you, Ian, you're fantastic. And I'll never complain again (well, not today anyway).

Big hugs.

S'mee said...

Thank you all for your thoughts and support, it is appreciated, beleive me.

I have been coming to terms today with what exactly the hospital has sent home to me, and the result is very much as expected. Not very good.

Hopefully these first twenty four hours will improve, but there is a long way to go. I'll post in a couple of days when I get a few things sorted.

IanS XXX