Tuesday 12 August 2008

Horizon in sight?

For a Monday, it's been very positive. I was told last week that the PEG operation was down for this week. It was confirmed today. It will be tomorrow morning.

I saw the doctors this afternoon and signed the permission form on Cag's behalf. I did ask her once again is she was sure and she said that she wasn't, but there is no other option, and I did get her agreement finally. The doctor explained about the risks, the same as with any procedure, but really we have no other choice.

Providing everything goes well, she will be back on the Ward by 2 p.m. A few days for the PEG to settle down, to make sure it's working well, and then Cag can come home. Next Monday being the aim.

The rest of my visit was taken up with an interview with an Occupational Terrorist .......... I mean Therapist, who was checking if we needed any additional support when Cag gets home. Later we saw the Physio Therapist, who wanted to see how I managed to move Cag without the aid of a hoist. I lifted her out of bed, into her chair, and then a few minutes later returned her to the bed. No problem. I still doubt if she weighs more than 38 kilo, even with 4 weeks of feeding.

So now it's more waiting, but at least we have a date in sight, and something to look forward to. I still wonder what they will be sending home to me, but it's got to be better than the last four weeks. I'll keep you posted. X

4 comments:

Fiona said...

The best of thoughts to you and Cag during these times of adjustment.

The peg worked well for my dad, he got used to it very quickly (he was on the electric pump version) and as you say, when it comes to a certain point, there's no choice, Ian.

At least you'll have her home, and she'll be home. That is definitely better than what you've been dealing with.

BUT...do make sure you take good care of you, too. Please.

SUH

Seeker said...

Just echoing all that Fi has said. Hope all goes well with the operation, that Cag will soon be back home with you and that you both adjust to the changes in your lives.

Take care.

freebird said...

And similar from me. With your love and care she'll be in the best possible hands. Make sure you get cared for too.

S'mee said...

Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes. I'm fine, and having Cag home is, if anything, is easier than the backwards and forwards to hospital.

XXX.