Thursday 14 August 2008

Wednesday the 13th............

Thirteen, unlucky for some, but not us thank goodness. Cag has had the PEG fitted and all went well, very well. It really is a neat job, a small white plastic clip with the feeding tube running from it. Long enough so as not to be felt when the connection is made but easy to gather up when not in use.

Today, Thursday, Cag was very 'out of it'. It might have been a reaction to the operation but I'm guessing that the stay in hospital has treated her mind less well than I had hoped for. I saw the doctor about my fears and she thinks that she will probably recover her spirit after a few days at home, but I have doubts.

The Staff Nurse arrived, just before I was due to leave, and asked me to watch how the feed was prepared and administered. It took minutes. A machine delivers the feed, the correct amount, over a given time, usually done at night, so the recipient doesn't even know that the feed is taking place. Easy! I had asked Cag earlier if she had received anything via the PEG during the day, and she said she hadn't. The charts showed a different story, so she hadn't even realised she had been fed.

It's my turn tomorrow, with the nurse standing by and giving instructions. The next day it will be totally my turn, with all eyes on how I do, and if that satisfies the eyes, Cag may be allowed home on Monday.......... but if it's a day later or so, then that's O.K as well.

I understand it can be used for wine. Might even ask if I can have one............. but I like to taste too much, so that wouldn't work. But seriously, it will take adjustments on both our parts. I know I can handle what life brings, and I only hope Cag can cope with what comes her way.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

My thoughts are with Cag and you. I know that when my dad had his fitted, there was a period of adjustment which he took badly at first. For him it was coming to terms with no longer being able to enjoy something he had all his life, the taste of food. The taste of wine. The taste of a good scotch - though he did, through it all, manage to sip on a wee dram come most evenings. But he knew he'd never eat again and that was a difficult thing for him to process.

I think you have a tough period ahead, Ian, and I hope you know you have so many friends out here pulling for you and caring.

SUH

Sunny Delight said...

I have only a vague idea of what you are going through, as I have not lived it. (My life is so easy compared to yours)

I witness the stressors caregivers go through on almost a daily basis. And I am constantly amazed how well you all survive, sometimes strictly on your love for the care recipient alone.

There is good news here regarding the peg tube, and I know you will do it quite well. Bad news in that her spirit is not reviving...is this memory too?

Know, I hold you both close in my thoughts...still wishing...sigh...that more could be done to share your burden...your heart seems so full of love dear one...your attitude, your spirit are so amazing to me. Much positive energy arrowing its way across the miles to you.

Many many SUHs

freebird said...

It's good to 'hear' you sounding a little more optimistic - at least about the PEG. Obviously you both have some big adjustments to make but I do hope that Cag will feel more comfortable and settled when she gets home - I'm sure she will.
Keep awarding yourself the odd glass of red - responsibly, of course! ;-)