Wednesday 6 August 2008

It still goes on........

I'm still driving daily to and from Truro to see Carole each afternoon. She's on a 1000 cals a day drip, plus whatever other food she will take orally. Without the drip I'm sure she wouldn't be here now. Her kidneys were very close to stopping work, which would have more than serious for someone with M.S. There would have been very little anyone could have done.

I managed to see the doctor today. They are so young, but seem to know what they are doing. She asked how Carole and I felt about having a peg, a stomach feeding tube fitted. I had only just finished telling Carole that as far as I could see it was the only way she was going to get home any time soon. Carole said 'yes' to the doctor straight away and I said I was all for it. It would take the pressure off both of us. She, with needing to eat and drink, and me, seeing that she has sufficient to sustain her. It was not a road either of us wanted to travel, so hopefully it may only be temporary.

So now it a case of waiting for the job to be done. Hopefully I will see the dietitian tomorrow and be able to discuss with her just exactly what Carole will be able to eat. Whether it will need to be a puree or just a soft diet. When and how to use the peg, and whether it will be a manual or mechanical method of feeding. All good stuff!

Apart from that, every thing is fine. I'm up to my eyes in peas and three types of beans. This rain has certainly done our garden a bit of good. I also took a trip out to the Citroen dealership today to arrange for delivery of the new car for October. Of course, they've changed the model and the price has gone up, only to be expected, but every thing's set now and wheels are in motion.................. so to speak.

I really can't wait for things to get back to normal, but I'm afraid that life will never be quite the same again. There is always a price to pay, but lets hope that the cost to our lives is within reason.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi Ian - you are bearing up so incredibly well under such a hard situation.

I guess 'normal' morphs into what our reality is and it does sadden me to think you'll never have things back the way they were.

I wish there was more I could say or do, please just know you're thought about and cared about.

SUH

Fi
xxxx

S'mee said...

Hi Fi, had plenty of practice on bearing up.... or is it baring up? But seriously, sometimes it's not easy.

Thanks for the thoughts and hugs. They are always welcome.

Ian.

freebird said...

Just adding my thoughts, just so you know we're here. I think of you often - not just when I'm visiting this page. Absolutely no use whatsoever, but I'm telling you anyway!
fb
x

S'mee said...

Hi Fb, sorry I've not been keeping up with things in Blogland. I've been getting up to speed on M.S matters and feeding details. It looks to have more possitve than negative features, so we are both waiting to get things done and dusted.

Thanks for dropping by. X

Fiona said...

Well, Ian, you know that if you ever feel like baring anything at all, you'll have an eager audience here ;)

Hazel said...

The feeding tube, as you say, will certainly take the pressure of feeding off, and that's a good thing, even though it's a 'change' if you know what I mean.
How on earth do you manage..the stress on both of you must be enormous. Day after day....and things changing never to be the same.

S'mee said...

South African red...... from the south side of the vineyard Hazel.