Thursday 6 November 2008

The doctor cometh..........

First let me thank those of you who commented on yesterdays post. I was more switched on when the doctor call today, so was able to come away with a little more positive news.

He answered all the general medical questions I asked, mainly about her care and what to watch for. I asked about a time scale and he replied that whatever he told me would be wrong. There were many possibilities. Because the body is not acting in the way it should, it will gradually shut down. This could be hastened by and infection or breathing difficulties, pneumonia etc, and of course, there was always the possibility of another seizure. It also depends on the will to survive or whether the body is just too tired to fight anymore.

In the mean time, we will make her as comfortable as we can and try to keep her mind as active as we can. A day at a time, and every day a blessing.

I will make my own enquiries about our local hospice. I used to be in contact with several of the nurses there as Cag attended their Day Care Centre for physio, but that was a about ten years ago. I have heard only glowing reports recently, but it has to be right for Cag, and offer more than I can give her here. I know that if I need a break, the door is open, and I only have to let our doctor or the nurses know. We shall see.

4 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

SUH

Fiona said...

How hard it must be, to see someone you love, in this situation.

From both sides, dear man, your side and Cag's side.

You are in my thoughts and virtual SUHs are sent to you.

Fi
xxxx

Hazel said...

Sending positive thoughts, and hoping you are getting through this difficult time as smoothly as possible. Lord knows you've done, and are doing, your best.

It's sooo hard - my mum and aunt were carers for 7 years to my nan, who had a massive stroke and basically lost her ability to speak properly/understanding, walk, feed herself, etc. The stress and strain is just unbearable at times, as is the deep sadness for the loss of so many things which can't always be put into words.

S'mee said...

Thank you once again for all your comments.

I've had a break from the nurses over the weekend. They are only a phone call away, but there's very little physically they need to do.

Will be contacted by the MacMillan Team in a couple of days for them to add their support. All advice welcome.

IanS.