Friday 30 May 2008

Caught out..........

No posts for over a week. Yep! I've been caught out............. but I'm not the only one. I seem to be in good company, because my daily visits to favourite blogs have also produced very little reading. I have an excuse........... if only I could think of what it is!!!

We have had problems. My recovery has gone very well. Still a little sore at times, but I can live with that. I wish it were the same for Cag. I knew there may be difficulties if our routine was disrupted and sure enough Cag has re-developed an eating problem. She has 'gone off' food.

It's happened before, several times before, and there's very little one can do about it. Her appetite will return, usually in a few weeks, but it can be quite worrying when it happens. She's been living off a grilled tomato, half a peach and about four cups of coffee a day. Thankfully, in the last two days, we've been able to add a ham sandwich, eaten in two sittings to the fruit, so I'm hoping the little progress made will grow.

I think it's a combination of swallowing difficulties due to M.S and the mind. She has so little control over her life that the one way she can control what is happening is in eating. A temporary form of Anorexia perhaps? On previous occasions the doctor has prescribed tablets, which she won't take, and special high calorie drinks, which are ghastly. So it's progress in small steps for now, and fingers crossed that every thing will be back to normal soon.

We watched with interest the programme about Mary Whitehouse the other night. We were very friendly with one of her nephews when we lived in Brixham. I met her husband, a very quiet gentleman, and her youngest son, Christopher. He contributed to a 'write up' in the Mail this week, and is portrayed very much as I remember him from all those years ago. It brought back happy memories of a happy and less complicated time of my life. It's good to have these little nudges on occasions.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Cag's eating issues. Make sure YOU eat though, I know when my dad couldn't eat and ended up on the stomach pump, my mum ended up in hospital with malnutrition because she felt guilty about food smells in the house and basically just gave up eating, herself.

Look after yourself dear man!

S'mee said...

I'm fine Fi. Getting the opportunity to try things that Cag wouldn't entertain.

Sunny Delight said...

I think you have very good insight into what is going on with her. I admire your fortitude, and ability to keep on doing, even when it must become very frustrating and worrying.

Hoping your weather is beautiful, and your garden growing. SUH.