Tuesday 1 April 2008

Monday and April 1st.............

Start of a new week and a new me........... well, a repaired me. I've started doing my paper round to a few neighbours again. Something to do while I'm waiting for the carers and it keeps me up to date with the latest gossip.

The development on the adjoining site has started, or at least the land clearing. There's a massive bonfire which has bathed the estate in smoke for the second day running. Even with the windows closed, it still manages to seep in, not enough to be unpleasant, but you know it's there. Shame they didn't start last week as the northerly wind would have carried it away.

Bit of a mad day today. Carers were late, hairdresser was early, breakfast was a rush, then a dash to get to the chemist before they closed for lunch. Shopping this afternoon, not for very much, we've still got a freezer full that I stocked up with just in case I couldn't get around.

The news from Cag's mother is not too good. She's beginning to fall back into her old ways and is not looking after herself. She was let down over Easter when her carers missed her out on Saturday and Sunday, and that seems to have triggered this latest episode. There's nothing we can do, so it must be left to others.

These last couple of weeks have brought home to me how difficult it would have been if my own mother had still been with us. Difficult! It would have been impossible. I'm glad I did what I did and I was able make things easier for her, if only for a short while, but I can see why other might shy away from the responsibility, as some of Cag's sisters have.................. and I don't blame them.

2 comments:

freebird said...

Hi S'mee, good to hear you're getting out and about.
Well, it's a blessing that it was just a short while - as you say, it would have been impossible. What you did, and are doing, is far beyond what most people can imagine coping with. You're a flippin' saint! You deserve whatever rest and help is available - pity they don't always get it right, but make the most of what you are getting while you have the opportunity.

S'mee said...

I'm afraid that half the problem lays with the person being cared for. Many are quick to complain but slow to praise, and many have forgotten how to say 'thank you'.

One of the reasons that Cag's mother doesn't always get the help she needs is because of the way she treats people.... and I can see a similar trait in Cag.

It's enough to drive you to drink;-)