Thursday 13 March 2008

Thirteenth....unlucky for some!

I told you so! Phoned Adult Social Care at 9.00am, and was told that I would get a reply call in about half an hour. I did, to tell me that my Care Coordinator was off work sick.

I did manage to find out the the carers would be calling at the arranged times, it was when I mentioned the hoist and raising the bed height that I got silence. Nothing had been done.

Carers won't work without a hoist, and Cag needs to be out of bed for an hour or more at least twice a day. She can't eat laying down, or swallow very well. I told the new Coordinator that the Community Nurses were supposed to be arranging for the hoist, and she said she would try to get hold of them and get back to me.

I phoned again at 5.00pm. She was unable to speak to the nurse who was organising the hoist, she was not at work today. I don't think the original message had even reached her. She would be contacted tomorrow. I was then told that this new Coord had been informed that a hoist would not fit through our doors, so would be useless. I reminded her that we had used a hoist before in the home, and although it was difficult for one person to use, two carers who knew what they were doing would have little trouble.

I then reminded her that they had had ten weeks to sort out these problem. A full in home assessment, a further nursing assessment and then a financial assessment. There were difficulties found but those could be easily rectified. I was getting annoyed, so I then asked for the complaint procedure.

The atmosphere of the conversation changed. Promises to make sure everything that could be done tomorrow would be, and promises to keep me informed as to progress. I have a couple of phone call myself to make tomorrow, to bring pressure from a different source. We'll see if it works.

In truth, it's not the new Coords fault, but I hate people trying to cover over poor work with excuses, when I'm only asking them to do the job they are there for.

4 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

The stress you must be under! You planned so well in advance...they had better come through for you!

My fingers are crossed, and I am sending all the good karma I can muster across the pond.

Just had a thought...who is driving you home after your surgery? Not something you should be doing on your own.

Again, my thoughts are with you that all goes smoothly. Extra tight SUH!

freebird said...

Oh NO!!! So you were right to have your doubts. This sort of thing is maddening, especially when they've had so long to sort it out. I hope your threat of a 'complaints procedure' will jolt them into action in time.
(X)

S'mee said...

Sunny, good karma received thank you....... and it worked. X

Fb, some of the staff at Adult Social Care are so laid back that they're horizontal, but I think their cage got rattled yesterday. X

LePhare said...

Test post.