Tuesday 19 February 2008

Monday and Tuesday............

Monday, payday, and we are solvent, at least until I get home from the Post Office. It was very frosty first thing, about 28f, but as the day went on it climbed into the middle 50's. Problem is, the sun brings out the blooms on the flowering shrubs, and the morning frosts burn them off.

Cag choose the evening meal, I knew it would be cauliflower cheese before I asked. I had cauli, and a good job I did, but needed fresh bread so headed for the supermarket. Got the bread, but there were no caulis to be found! Now this is Cornwall, cauliflower county, and this is cauliflower season. Supermarket....... no caulis........ what's going on?

Two new visitors today. A small flock of goldcrests paid us a visit. By the time I'd got to my camera, they had gone. I've only seen the odd one before, never so many at one time, and if they had stayed still long enough, I could have probably counted five or six. I had more luck with the blackcap, or rather the female blackcap, because their cap is not black but a ruddy brown.....

.

O.K, so not a very impressive looking bird, but not such a common sight in our garden.

Took advantage of a sunny afternoon to visit a local Farm Shop. I've never been there before although it's only about ten minutes away. As you would expect, it was full of local produce, jams and preserves, ales and ciders, chocs and biscuits, fresh veg hours out of the ground, and one of the best selections of meat I seen for a long while. The shop is a hundred yards from the Lost Gardens of Heligan, so it's well used and well supported. We will be back.............. and I bought some cauliflowers there.

The rest of the afternoon, and a lot of the evening, was spent sorting out my Ebay account. I'd signed up for PayPal but must have entered the wrong bank details. I'd missed out an initial! Trouble is, it took an age to find and I'm not sure that's the whole problem now. Thankfully, a seller helped me out and to understand what was going on. I'd hate to get a poor credit rating, even on Ebay. The whole world would know!

5 comments:

freebird said...

We used to get goldcrests in our garden in the south, but haven't seen one since moving to the frozen north. Lovely little things, aren't they? I LOVE the pic of the blackcap - well done you! I don't think I've seen one of those.

(Yes, I'm a bit of a bird nerd!)

Cauliflower cheese...... suddenly I'm hungry!

Fiona said...

I love cauliflower cheese! I'll invite myself over if you're not careful ;)

S'mee said...

Cag likes hers plain, with just a little onion and bacon flavouring. So I make one in two halfs. My side has extra garlic mushrooms or leeks, or sometimes both.

S'mee said...

Fi, I was only seconds behind you! The story of my life!!

Fiona said...

Hahahahaha always bringing up the rear, eh ;)