Monday 25 February 2008

Sunday and Monday......

The trip to Brixham was a joy, and the weather held despite the warnings from the forecasters. We took a side trip to see where our daughter had moved recently, not to call in, we would never do that without phoning, but just to see where it was in case we were ever invited. It's at the top of a very steep hill. By the time we reached her house I was worried about nose bleeds it was so high. It's only a short walk to town, but I would dread having to walk back.

Cag's sister had made apple pie. She had heard a rumour that it was a favourite of mine. She is not wrong! Topped with clotted cream, I managed two portions. Mmmmmmm! Another of cag's sisters joined us for about an hour, which helped in keeping up the flow of conversation.

Cag is unable to follow a subject for very long, her concentration seems to fail, and I find it difficult at times because I get very little other verbal contact during the week. Poor hearing doesn't help, but I often find myself stumbling over words I would have had no trouble with a few years back. It's a lack of verbal intercourse that's the problem!!

"Do you know anything about DVD players?" I shivered. K's player was on the blink. Sound was o.k but no picture. I am not 'up' on modern technology, more a valve person than micro processor, but I do know how to wiggle wires, and that was all it was. Scart plug was half pulled out after diligent dusting for our visit. Phew!

I'd taken up a C.D of John Barrowman for K, thought she would like his easy going style, and she offered several DVD's for us to borrow. One of them was 'Groundhog Day', but I told her I was already living that. We settled for 'Saving Ryans Privates' ............ or something like that!

Hoping for a decent sunset on the way home but just a little too dull this time. There will be others.

11 comments:

Fiona said...

*L* verbal intercourse - sounds like sexual dialogue, but in the absence of that, how about doing the crossword, it seemed to keep my mum's mind running at full tilt ;)

Seeker said...

Joking apart, I completely understand what you say about the lack of 'verbal intercourse'. Although I have plenty of 1-to-1 dialogue at home, it is quite unusual for me to be part of a conversation in a larger group. I too often find myself stumbling over my words these days when I do find myself in such a situation. And my hearing isn't exactly A1 lately, either!

Maybe it's partly another 'age thing'!

S'mee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S'mee said...

Opps! Made a mucking fuddle of that post! Try again.....

V.I Fi. One of my old bosses favourite expressions, along with 'a cross fertilization of ideas!' Cag is not a crossword person. Can't hold a pen! And I'm more Sudoku..... and apple pie;-)

Seeker, It's all down hill after you reach 28. You'll find that out when you get there. I find I have to take subjects with me, things I plan to say. Pretty sad for someone who has spent his working life in sales and behind bars....... not prison ones!

Sunny Delight said...

Perhaps you need to try audio blogging ;-)

Or, get a mic for your computer...and we can try some verbal discourse through yahoo...justa thought...although I am sure you would have difficulties with my terrible american accent.

I spend so much time in VI during the week...that silence is golden to me at times.

Fiona said...

Aaaah that's what is such fun, doing crosswords together - my mum, when she lost use of her right hand, did it with my aunt.

That's a great idea of Sunny's hell we could have a threesome...eerrmmmm threeway....eeerrrmmm you know what I mean :)

Sunny, Ian may well have a 'Jude Fawley' accent....not that easy either!

S'mee said...

It already has a mic Sunny, and fingerprint recognition and lots of other bits...... but I haven't found how they work yet. Know what you mean about silence, but I can switch off! I can just about hear the wind above the tinnitus...Ha, ha!

Who's Jude Fawley? And what are you trying to get me into now Fi? You know I'm easily lead!!

Sunny Delight said...

Ah Fi my friend...methinks we do need lead him into a 3-way some morning/night (conference that is ~devilish grin~)

And Ian...with your techno expertise...you cannot convince me you don't know how to use those gadgets!

Btw...I totally do NOT know who Jude Fawley is!

S'mee said...

Jude the Obscure, one of Thomas Hardy's. Trust Fi to show her advanced intellect by coming up with that one;-)

And I'm easily led, not lead!!!!

Sunny Delight said...

Lead ( we got it anyway) and, mayhap the word comes from your fascination with pencils :-)

S'mee said...

Pencils? Wot me?............ I've only bought one today!