Friday 29 February 2008

Thursday and Friday........I'm in tears.

The weather's not good enough to allow me to do the jobs that are needed in the garden. I've managed a little spring cleaning, but the bite in the wind make it unpleasant to stay out very long. Just wish the grass would stop growing.

Thursday was a shopping day, a top up for the weekend. My cousin came home from hospital in the evening. It appears that a good clear out was all the was needed. It rated 5.7 on the Richter scale, or so I'm told. Thought I felt the earth move!

Friday is a 'nothing to do' day, but with a little excitement. I place a bid on E-bay, and was around to see it go to the wire. It was only my third bid in three years, so you can see how keen I was. With 24 seconds to go I was out bid. I know nothing about how it all works, but I saw afterwards there are ways to place a reserve on an item, to make automatic bids. Live and learn! I'll wait until brother-in-law gets back from his world jaunt and ask him for instructions.

I phoned to find out about Cag's mother today and was told she had been moved to another ward. The nurse's account was that she was a little brighter than yesterday and was sitting out, but would not be home just yet. I was phoned later in the day by one of Cag's sisters who had been to see her, and she said that mum-in-law looked white and ghastly, had a nose drip, was on oxygen, and was catheterised. She also said that she had a job getting her mother to recognise who she was. If this was 'a little brighter', God knows what she was like yesterday.
Two other daughter are going to see her tomorrow, so we will be waiting for more news from them. There's little we can do, the distance being a trifle too far for Cag to travel. We could manage it at a push, and would do if it were really necessary, but it would wreck Cag for days.

And now a sad tale. Cousins husband gave me a bottle of 12 year old Malt, a pressy to him, but he hates whiskey. I opened it tonight .................. and it's corked! The cork has a musty smell and it's tainted the nectar. I've had it with wines, and even a bottle of cheap Cognac once, but in a Malt. Sacrilege!! The only thing to do is to pour it away................ I'm in tears.

2 comments:

freebird said...

Three bids in as many years! Steady now s'mee, this could become an addiction ;-)

Sorry to hear how things are with your M-i-L.

Whisky? Corked??? I didn't know it was possible. A tragedy - and malt too :-(

S'mee said...

And the most serious was the Malt. I do see how this bidding lark could be habit forming. I did feel a slight flutter, at least I think that's what it was ;-)