Friday 23 November 2007

Friday 23rd...........

My mother died this afternoon.
.
She was still unwell this morning, so I call for a doctor to visit to check her over. The doctor came about 1pm, gave her a thorough check, and thought she had a mild infection, for which she prescribed antibiotics. I picked up the tablets this afternoon and gave her a tablet when I returned home about 3pm. About ten minutes later she was breathing erratically and very distressed. I went into her, held her hand and she stopped breathing. I called 999 and paramedics were here within ten minutes. They tried the full range of C.P.R, but to no avail.
.
The rest of the afternoon was spent watching forms being completed, by the paramedics (so much paperwork!), the the doctor, and finally a police officer who was representing the coroner.
.
I removed her rings, said my goodbyes and she was finally taken from the house at about 7pm............. a long afternoon. The rest of the evening, after a few bites to eat, has been spent contacting family and her few friends.
.
I'm not sad. My heart was tugged at a couple of times this evening, but I was thankful to be there and to know it was quick. In reality, I would have hated to have her resuscitated, only to have suffered more, and the same thing happen again in a few weeks time.
.
I did phone her friend, the vicar, tonight. It was his birthday and he was having tea with some friends. He was shocked. " Well I'll be dammed......", were his words. Strange coming from a vicar!


6 comments:

Eileen H said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

I lost my Mum suddenly in February this year, so I know what you are going through.

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

xx

freebird said...

Oh Ian, I'm so sorry.
You know we'll be thinking of you out here in blogland.
I don't know if this is the right thing to say at this time, but I've been so worried about the pressure that's been on you lately, and now that will be lessened. I know you will be so pleased that you made the decision to have your mother with you for her last few months and you'll never say that it was a burden - as I've said before, you're a saint!
Sending you love and wishing you peace, dear friend.
xxx

Seeker said...

Oh my, I was not expecting to read this today! I am so very sorry.

Blogland is a funny world. I feel almost as if I knew your mother, even though I obviously didn't.

As Freebird says, the thoughts and sympathy of all your readers will be with you in abundence. May God bless you and all your family at this difficult time.

Fiona said...

Ian, I'm so sorry. FB directed me this way and I'm here to give you a huge stand-up hug. I know your mother was in your wonderful care during her last days and you were there to keep her safe. I know she knew that too. You gave the best gift any child can give, care and comfort when it was needed the most. You never deserted her, in fact you brought her closer to you as she needed more help.

I'm glad the end was fast and that she didn't suffer too much. I'm more than glad you were there holding her hand. She left with the love of her son right there with her.

You blessed her last, sometimes difficult days with all the love you showed her. I think it must be a wonderful thing to leave like that.

Another big SUH for you dear man. My thoughts are with you and your family now.

Fi
xxxxxx

S'mee said...

Thank you for all your comments. Some of you will know my feeling about death and know that although I am sad, I am happy to know that her sufferings are no more.

Thank you again and love to all.
IanS.

Sunny Delight said...

Oh Ian, I am sorry for your loss.
As the others have said, and you as well. You gave her almost year of love, the best of care, comfort, and security, you gave her a chance to live in the company of those who love her, instead of an institution.

I wish you some days of ease, much love, and many warm hugs dear man.