Monday 26 November 2007

Monday........ day one.

It's the first day that I have been able to do anything, to get some of the problems sorted. The main one, the funeral arrangements are well on the way. We need a date for the body to be released from the hospital, then it can be taken to Torquay. The service at my mother's church has to be arranged. It 's the vicar's day off today, so that should be finalised tomorrow. Detail have to be worked out but I have that planned, a similar service to my father's two years ago.

I've contacted her bank, the pension service and her private pension supplier. Nothing can be done there until I can forward a death certificate. Both pension suppliers stop the pension as of the date of death, but that's fine, as any over payment would have to be returned in any case.

I've taken all her unused medication back to the chemist for them to dispose of, and the black bags, some to the dump and the new or nearly new to the charity shop. The jewelry's been checked over, it didn't take long. My mother was not a jewelry person. Four rings, a gold cross, a locket, a gate bracelet, plus a couple of small chains, some broken pieces, and that's it. The was a load of 'distance jewelry', looks good till you get close, so the best of this can go to the charity shop next time I'm passing.

I phoned our daughter tonight, to keep her up to date on things. I explained the Will and told her what I intended to do about it. Everything has been left to me, for me to dispose of as agreed with my parents, but I've given her the decision about what should happen to her children's share and when they should receive it. I thought that best.

The real winners in all this will be the Equity company that supplied my parents private pension. They will receive 85% of the sale of the house, less what they have paid to my parents over the years. A tidy sum. Be warned against Equity agreements............ unless you plan to live until you are 130!

And now we've heard that Cag's mother was admitted to Taunton hospital today with an irregular heart beat. The dark side of me wonders if I can get a quantity discount on funerals.

So roll on tomorrow..............

4 comments:

Fiona said...

I love that sense of humour of yours ;)

It's sobering to see how a life comes down to these things. It makes the days we have together more precious.

I'm practical like you though. I guess that's why we are called upon in these times.

I hope Cag is dealing with it all a little better.

Thoughts are with you.

SUH

Seeker said...

Glad to hear that you can still smile :-)

I wish you luck with all the arrangements; there is always so much to be done when somebody has died.

I hope your mother-in-law recovers ok.

Take care.

freebird said...

Well that raised a little chuckle here ;-)

Sounds like you're ploughing through all the 'stuff' very calmly. Well done.

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't know you had a daughter.

Thoughts still with you. (x)

S'mee said...

I can see the humour in most things, even at times like these. I guess it's my way of dealing with the difficult.

Cag's been a little better Fi, but I think it will take until after the funeral to settle down.

Seeker, I've had a lot of help from the undertaker, who took care of my Fathers funeral and the vicar, who's been a gem. It's been so easy with their help.

A daughter F.B and two grand children, one of each. Hard to believe with me being only 28!............ I wish!!