Sunday 25 November 2007

Sunday......

I awoke at about 4.30am, my pillow a bag of bricks. Watched the clock, my head full of thoughts. Saw 5.30 and 6.30, must have dropped off and in minutes the alarm went off at 6.55am. Don't you just hate nights like that!

We set off about 11.30 to visit Cags sister P, her husband D, and another younger sister K. An easy journey, plenty of traffic but it kept moving. I had been looking forward to talking with D as he was in a similar situation only a few years ago. He had also recently finished settling the estate of a cousin, acting with a solicitor as joint executor, and guided K through sorting her husbands affairs when he so suddenly passed away, so is well versed in the joys and pitfalls of the whole business.

There was a lot to take in but he's only a phone call away................ and works cheap.......ha, ha! I should be able to get the ball rolling tomorrow, at least doing some of the preparation work. I've been warned about the amount of letters I will have to write, and visits to make, so if my posts are a little small, please forgive.

We left a little later than usual. Nothing to rush home for now. We missed driving into the sunset, but there will be other sunsets. A good day, in good company, and good cake.......... mmmmmmm!

2 comments:

Fiona said...

There's always a place for good cake :)

Am so glad you have someone to help you through the maze of formalities, and that it's someone you can trust. My mother ended up in the hands of a rip-off artist when she made up her new Scottish will. I had to almost threaten action to get myself listed as an executor, they wanted it to be just two partners in their firm. The sad part is, my mother didn't see anything wrong with that - shudders!

S'mee said...

My brother-in-law's partnership with a solicitor was a disaster. He did all the work and the solicitor did all the charging.

It's still a waiting game but I have made some progress.