Wednesday 5 December 2007

Tuesday......... and Wednesday.

An early start, 6.30am, plenty of time, but it was one of those days. No matter how I tried to get ahead, something always held me back. Cag had catheter problems which lost us 30 minutes and from then on everything got behind.

We did manage to get to Cag's sisters in time for something to eat and then get to the church by 2.00pm. My mother was already there, so it gave us a little while to see that everything was in order, it was, and view the coffin. Mum would have been pleased as it looked so narrow, and a beautiful floral tribute made it look just right.

The Service was just what she would have wanted. Simple and meaningful. The vicar had lots of good words to say about her and her life. I could hardly believe them all, but as I had written most of it, they must have been right. He did say that he had made a quick calculation, and she had helped raised between £50,000 and £60,000 in organising the Bingo night for many years.

There were more in attendance than I expected, about 35. Only the older members of the congregation would have remembered her, but there were quite a few of them. Tea and biscuits in the Hall afterwards accounted for most of our family, never slow in coming forward where free eats and drinks are offered.

It also gave me chance to mingle, to meet all those I needed to and to thank everybody who came............... even if they only came for the biscuits. We must do it all again sometime, but nobody rushed forward to volunteer.

We were home by about 7.30pm. By the time I had things sorted, we'd had a snack, and a decent drink, we had both had enough. A long day.

Wednesday.

A bad night's sleep. So much going on in my head. One or two telephone calls to make today. A couple of very early policies to chase up. Probate for the Will to organise. A little shopping, a trip to the bank to get their paperwork completed, then a trip to the doctors.

The doctor was the one that was causing me the most concern. Blood test results etc. But........ GOOD NEWS! Liver and kidney function fine, blood sugar fine, blood pressure fine, cholesterol just under 4, fine. He recons I should make it to the weekend without much trouble, and wine is still on the menu. Ain't life grand.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Attendance at funerals - it's an interesting thing. I was amazed at how many turned out for my dad's funeral, people he and my mum hadn't seen or heard from for some 40 years in some cases!

I think with that also comes regret. Regret for not having stayed in touch and a need to reach out to people left behind, even reaching out amongst themselves. It's one of the good things about funerals, new bonds are made, or bonds re-established.

SUH

freebird said...

Simple and meaningful is, I think, the best you could give anyone.

I hope that you'll have a chance to relax now that most of the work is over and now that your tests have brought good news. Enjoy that wine - cheers!

S'mee said...

You are so right Fi, and I will keep in contact with those I promised.

A chance now to draw breath and analyse the last twelve months FB...... but not too closely though.