Sunday 14 October 2007

Sunday, a day of rest?

A Beerfest, being held over two days, on the holiday estate next to our little residential site. When it was first announced, nearly everyone living on our estate was up in arms about it. I thought it would be better to find out more before making a decision. From the enquiries I made it all seemed in order and was going to be properly managed. Others thought the area would be full of drunken yobs, using their gardens as toilets.

All day live music, 50's & 60's theme, guest real ales at a special price,vintage vehicles, W.W.II hardware and reenactments, hog roast, stalls, and all the fun of the fair.

In truth it's been a bit of a wash out. It's drizzled most of the weekend. I doubt whether any more than about two hundred people have been in attendance at any one time. As to effecting us residents, I haven't heard any more racket than would normally come from the local Inn.

There was the noise of an odd thunder flash going off and the occasional burst of machine gun fire from the reenactment (a typical Sunday, ha, ha!), oh, and a rather poor firework show at about 8 o'c tonight, but apart from that, I wouldn't have known it was all happening. And our gardens are still pristine!

My mother stopped me in my tracks tonight. She ask me what had happened to her mother. She hadn't been in contact with her since she'd been here, not even sent a card, and it was bothering her to know where she was. She was a little confused to hear the she had died in 1974, in hospital, after a short illness.

I spent some time with her going over what I could remember of the facts, and added the details I could remember about the loss of her two brothers. She remembered them passing but not the hows and wherefores.

I then asked her a question that I'd asked about a month ago, how long did she think she had been with us? The answer was the same as she gave then, about two weeks! It's actually been over ten months! Time flies when you're enjoying yourself!!

How strange, and how fragile the human mind can be.

5 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

Did I miss something along the way? Has your mother been diagnosed with dementia? I wish I could send you a wonderful book I own.It is titled...
Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia, A Journal for Caregivers, by Jolene Brackey.

It is so full of helpful things when dealing with someone who is losing their short-term memory.

I just finished up my annual stint at a festival. It had many joyful moments, but, I am exhausted, and glad it is over, there were crowds numbering in the thousands...at least it seemed like it...I know we sold about 1700 Rosettes.

Sending many warm thoughts and SUHs your way.

S'mee said...

It's classed as 'age related dementia', frail minded, or a bit mizzled at times. Trouble is, when she make a joke, I'm not sure how much of a joke it is.

I remember you festival stint from last year. Where has the year gone?

Rosettes? I feel a HNT coming on...... only joking;-)

S'mee said...

Don't know if I would need a 'grob' or a 'mittel' rosette. Could be interesting to find out!

What do you think;-)

Fiona said...

My vote is that you go for the 'kleines' one, we'll see more of you that way ;)

Oh lord I think I have onset age related dementia too!!!

S'mee said...

Fi, I trhink we all ahve!